June 10-14, 2019
Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques
The Health and Retirement Study is a large and complex study of the labor force participation and health transitions that individuals undergo toward the end of their work lives and in the years that follow. The HRS Summer Workshop is intended to give participants an introduction to HRS that will enable them to use the data for research. This week-long workshop is led by Amanda Sonnega, who is a member of the research faculty with the HRS. Individual lectures are delivered on HRS content areas by co-investigators of the study and research faculty who lead the development of that topic including:
- Health and physical functioning
- Health insurance and medical care
- Linkage to Medicare
- Employment, retirement, and pensions
- Psychosocial and well-being
- Family data
- International comparison data
- Other topics including data collection, sample design, weighting, and restricted data files.
- Content lectures take place in the morning with hands-on data workshops every afternoon, in which participants learn to work with the data under the guidance of HRS staff.
Where and When
The workshop is part of the Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques, a teaching program of the Survey Research Center at the Institute for Social Research. Classes are held on the central campus of the University of Michigan at 426 Thompson Street in Ann Arbor Monday through Friday June 10 to 14, 2019.
Cost and Access
The cost of the 5-day course is $550. This fee covers tuition and course related expenses (handouts, etc.) but not room and board. The maximum number of participants is 30. The lab will be equipped with laptops available to conduct all analyses.
The course is wheelchair accessible. All disabilities will be accommodated. Please notify us in advance if you need specific accommodations.
For more information, or to register, visit the Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques website. Look for the course called Introduction to the Health and Retirement Study.
For additional information, please contact Amanda Sonnega at email@example.com.