HRS data are linked to detailed information about health care utilization from records maintained by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Available data include:
|CMS Research Files||Documentation||Available Years|
|Parts A and B Claims and Summary Files||1991-2015|
|Part D Drug Event Files||Data Dictionary (.xlsx)||2006-2015|
|Minimum Data Set (MDS) Assessment and Summary Files||Data Dictionary||1999-2015|
|Outcomes and Assessment Information Set (OASIS) Assessment and Summary Files||1999-2015|
|Medicaid Analytic Extracts (MAX) and Summary Files||1999-2012|
Unlike other HRS restricted data, the HRS linked CMS data are created and supplied by others. The Medicare & Medicaid Resource Information Center (MedRIC) creates and supplies the linked data and the Research Data Assistance Center (ResDAC) provides authorization. So while HRS is your first step in applying for the HRS linked CMS data, you will have two more application processes to request and obtain the data through these organizations. HRS only provides cross-reference files that summarize the linkages to HRS data.
Read the MedRIC Documentation for HRS Data Requestors for descriptions of the summary and claims files.
View this graphic for an overview of the entire application process.
Step 1. Submit Application for HRS Restricted Data
- Follow instructions for applying through the VDI or Traditional License.
- Include the Restricted CMS Data Products Order Form in your application. Although HRS does not provide the data, this form lets us know which products you are requesting.
Important! The HRS Restricted Data application process involves several steps that must be completed before proceeding to Step 2 below. Upon completion of Step1, HRS will provide information required in Step 2.
Step 2. Submit a ResDAC Research Identifiable Files (RIF) Request Packet to obtain a CMS DUA
- Start your ResDAC application here: ResDAC Research Identifiable Files (RIF) Request Packet
- On the Request Materials Tool page, select "Physical Data" for "Through which source would you like to access the data?" even if you've applied through the VDI.
- Fees may apply. Contact ResDAC for more information.
Step 3. Request a MedRIC data licensing agreement
- After your ResDAC RIF Request Packet is finalized, submit the MedRIC File Request Form.
- View an overview of the MedRIC Data Authorization Process (scroll down to Step 1.4.)
- Fees apply. See MedRIC Fee Structure for details.
Step 4. Data Access
- If you applied through the VDI, you will be contacted by HRS staff with the details you need to login to the enclave from your computer through the VDI.
- If you applied through the Traditional License, you will receive data files from MedRIC, and cross-reference files from HRS.