Nearly all restricted data can be accessed through the virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) system that allows users to remotely connect through a secure connection from their own desktop to a secure data enclave maintained by the Michigan Center for the Demography of Aging (MiCDA).
Follow the steps below to apply for access. If you already have access, see the Post Application Activities page for details on modifying or renewing your agreement.
Step 1. Submit Application
Starting November 7th, submit the RDA Application (VDI) form to apply for a Restricted Data Agreement (RDA) to access HRS Restricted Data through the MiCDA Enclave VDI. If you have not already done so, you will need to create a website account.
The application can not be saved before submitting, so make sure you have the following information and documentation before you begin:
- Project title and research abstract
- A short description of each of the following:
- The HRS Restricted data products and variables you intend to use in your research, including planned data analyses
- Why the public data are not adequate for your research purposes
- How the results you plan to export or publish will comply with the requirements of disclosure limitation review
- Documentation of IRB review and approval of your research plan from your institution, in .pdf format
- The Principal Investigator's CV, in .pdf format. If the Principal Investigator is a student, a letter of support from an advisor is required
For each additional project team member, you need:
- Name, Address, Phone Number and Email Address
Step 2. Team Member Submissions
Team members who require access to the data will be asked to create a website account and submit a Data Security Plan, a signed MiCDA Data Enclave Confidentiality Agreement, and a CV, all in .pdf format.
Step 3. HRS Reviews and Approves Application
HRS will review the application and team member submissions, and contact you if additional information is needed for approval.
Step 4. Access Details
Once your application is approved, each data user will be contacted by HRS staff with the details needed to login to the enclave from their computer through the VDI. Note that all results of analysis completed in the enclave will be reviewed by HRS staff to ensure they adhere to criteria for disclosure limitation review.