In some circumstances users may need to apply to obtain and use HRS restricted data on their own secure systems under what we call a traditional license. If you have determined that traditional license is required please follow these steps, many of which are identical to the VDI application process.
If you already have access with a traditional license, see the Post Application Activities page for details on modifying or renewing your agreement.
Step 1. Submit Application
A complete application includes:
- A short research proposal (no more than 2-3 pages) that includes:
- a project title
- one paragraph abstract
- the HRS restricted data you are requesting and how it fits into your proposed research
- information on the study team (i.e., anyone who will have access to the restricted data) including:
- role on project
- business address, email, and phone number
- current curriculum vita
- A completed Data Security Plan. See Elements of a Successful HRS Data Security Plan (PDF) for more information.
- A completed Traditional License Restricted Data Security Plan Checklist for each workstation.
- HRS Restricted Data Order Form
- Proof of current U.S. federal funding held by the Restricted Data Investigator
- Obtain from your institution:
- Institutional Federalwide Assurance (FWA) Number
- Institutional Policies on data confidentiality
- Documentation of IRB review of your research plan
When all of these documents are complete, e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2. HRS Reviews Application
HRS will review the application and contact you if additional information is needed, or with a preliminary approval to seek IRB and institutional signature (see Step 3). HRS will assign a restricted data agreement (RDA) number, which you will use in all future correspondence.
Step 3. Researcher applies for IRB Approval and Institutional Contracting Authority Signature
Once you have preliminary approval, submit your research and data security plans to your Institutional Review Board for either full board or expedited review. Exempt is not accepted.
Depending on your institutional practices, in parallel, you should also submit the HRS Confidentiality Agreement to your institutional Contracting Authority to review and sign.
E-mail both your proof of IRB approval and the signed Confidentiality Agreement to email@example.com.
4. HRS Finalizes Application and Sends Data
The completed application is reviewed and approved and a counter-signed copy of the Confidentiality Agreement is sent to you by courier along with the approval letter and data requested in encrypted format.